Thursday, July 16, 2009

Barcelona continued...

If you haven't read Part I, you might want to.

WARNING: DUE TO FINALS, PACKING, AND THE LACK OF AIR CONDITIONING; THIS POST IS RATHER MUNDANE.

We woke up around 8am by chance because for some reason my alarm didn’t go off. It was Friday morning and we had an entire day ahead of us of seeing the city of Barcelona. After breakfast at 9 we all boarded the two buses and set out for our great adventure of seeing all of the sights in one day. The first stop we had was the Sagrada Familia. A Catholic church designed by Antonio Guadi, the famous architect of Catalonia, who has produced the most interesting work I have ever encountered. His architecture is purely original and he uses natural occurrences in his works, and you can see it if you look at the curves and distinction of them. He started the church in 1882 and it’s estimated to be finished in 2026, but realistically in 2050. He dedicated his life to the designing and construction of the church and to his religion, Catholicism. After touring the exterior of the church we headed to a famous park he designed in Barcelona, Parque Guell. This is by far the most beautiful park I have ever been to and was again, amazed by his architecture.

Lunch time. We headed to the beach area where there are a lot of well priced restaurants with delicious seafood and needless to say, I ate well. We then went to one of the best view points in Barcelona where the 1992 Olympic stadium is and then toured the gothic quarter which contains buildings from the Roman times. After so many sights in one day, we were exhauste., I went to the hotel to take a 30 minute nap before I was going to meet up with a Spanish friend who I had met in Madrid that lives in Barcelona. She took me up to Mount Tibidabo. The mountain overlooked Barcelona and the bar we were at had an amazing view of the city at night. Despite the 9 euro drink, the place was great. My poor amiga had to work at 7 am so around 2am she dropped me off at the hotel where I was cordially greeted by some USD students who were about to go out to a club. “Sure, I’ll go.” We went to the worst club I have ever been to, and 15 euro and a really sticky floor later we left the club to venture out to seek the best that Barcelona nightlife had to offer. We found Opium. After getting really high… just kidding. (It’s a club.) Almost as good as the night club we went to Wednesday in Madrid. We got home around 6 am and I woke up again around 8am to catch the bus to Monserrat. Monserrat is a beautiful mountain outside of Barcelona where the Virgin Mary appeared to shepards. The air was cool and crisp, the view was truly outstanding and this definitely stood out as one of my favorite places on my trip to Barcelona.

After we got back to the city I went to the Picasso musuem. Jealous? You should be. I looked at Picasso paintings, drawings, and sculptures all afternoon.

That night we had a little botellon on the beach half because of all of the money spent the night before and half because of the broken shoe of a person who will remain nameless. On the way home on Sunday we stopped off at a Cava producer to take a tour and sip some Cava. (Spanish champagne) T’was delish and the ride home wasn’t half as bad as the way there. I have less than two days left in Madrid, and it has been an incredible experience to say the least.

Look for a new post wrapping up my thoughts on the entire trip in a couple of days.

Pictures of Barcelona

Pictures of Madrid (look for the one of me and the Senora)

Pictures of Modern Art in the Reina Sofia (There are a few Picasso's, Dali's, and some other really interesting stuff in here)

Couples making out in the metro: 82

Yours truly and my favorite,

Tony Kroschewsky

No comments:

Post a Comment