Saturday, June 27, 2009

A hot date with the Señora (and her friend)

Alex Gandy, I did not forget your birthday I just didn’t want to tell you happy birthday by a lame facebook wall post. This isn’t much better, but happy birthday.

Here are some bullet points because this little girl I know likes to know what’s going to happen before she reads:

· Drinks with the Señora

· What I actually have been doing in Madrid

· That’s pretty much it

This week I had midterms, sadly that means that my time in Spain is almost halfway over. So anyway, yeah midterms this week. The great thing about studying abroad and not being in a Texas A&M program, is that all you have to do is pass the classes. The credit, not the grade, transfers.

Tuesday I came home from a day out on the town around eight o’clock at night to study at least a little bit for my international regional security class. It really shouldn’t have been a big deal if I had been keeping up with the readings the last three weeks, but I was too busy writing this blog. I don’t have time for readings. My plan was to brief most of them that night as my midterm was the next day. I got up to my room checked my email and then opened the first book when I heard the Señora call, “Tooonnyyy”. Turns out her and a friend were going to get drinks and I was invited. Hell yeah I went. It was one of the best nights I have had in Madrid yet. We started out at some fancy bar that serves free tapas that to say the least were unbelievably delectable. After three glasses of wine we moved on.

I thought we were leaving to go home, but no we made another stop. We went in this place where everyone knew her name. I had to kiss like 35 older women on the cheeks again. (I’m not saying if I enjoyed it.) Marisol (the señora) pushes her way to the bar and orders three glasses of wine. I didn’t have a choice, so I drank it. Next thing I know we have fried squid (the whole things), fried peppers, bread, cheese, and croquetas. I was just trying to do the polite thing and keep up with them(it wasn't easy), four glasses of wine later (that’s 7 total for the night) I realized that I probably wouldn’t be studying for my test the next day. I haven’t gotten it back yet, but I felt pretty good about it.

I have pretty much only been writing about what I have been doing on my weekend trips and so I know you are just dying to hear what happens in Madrid. Monday through Thursday I have class from 9:30 to 1, and then I walk the 45 minutes back to the apartment where I eat lunch. Next is one of my favorite Spanish customs: SIESTA. Then I walk around and see the sights. (thanks to my sister, Leslie for giving me a book the night before I left or I would have no idea what to see) Here are some of the ones I have seen so far:

(Remember: blue = link worth looking at)

The Prado Museum (apparently you can go inside and look at paintings on google earth)

The Reina Sofia National Center of Art Museum (there are a few Picassos in here, no biggie)

Palacio Real

Templo de Hebod

Plaza Mayor

Retiro Park

Ermita de San Antonio de la Florida

In case you looked at all those and are still reading this, it’s rough having to go look at priceless art almost every day. I just finished the Prado Museum after four installments of almost two hours each. Sometimes when I go to these places I pay a little extra to get the tours. The Prado is free from 6-8 everyday so I don’t want to make a free excursion well, not free, so I don’t pay for the tours there. However, there are several tours going on at once and all you have to do is wander around by yourself until you hear one in English. Then you simply look at an adjacent painting and listen to the guide describe and give the history behind the painting that everyone in the group is looking at. When they leave to go to another painting you get a chance to look and see what the guide was talking about. You don’t have long though because the museum is big and you don’t want to lose the group. I simply call it beating the system.

This weekend has been my first in Madrid and I am thoroughly enjoying the nightlife.

Here are more pictures.

Couples making out in the metro: 21

Yours truly and my favorite,

Tony Kroschewsky

1 comment:

  1. Well written! I cant open the links wiout joining facebook/myspace/twitter whatever. Any way I can wiout doing that?

    ReplyDelete